Thursday, April 10, 2014

B Cooks...Homemade Granola


I'm not normally a huge breakfast person but lately I've found myself entirely too hangry by the time 11:30 rolls around so I've been pushing myself to have a light and healthy snack in the morning. My go-to's are a cup of yogurt with some fresh berries or a handful of granola with a generous helping of vanilla almond milk. I've found that store-bought granola has entirely too much unnecessary sugar so when I found a recipe for homemade granola in my new favorite cookbook, I had to try it! It turned out quite yummy and I can't wait to make it again with different fruit variations. Here is my recipe, with some slight modifications from the original.

Ingredients:
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened shreeded or flaked coconut
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg white
11/2 cups of dried cherries or any other dried fruit

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine all ingredients except the egg whites and dried fruit in a large bowl, tossing to coat evenly. Whisk the egg white in a small bowl until frothy. Stir into the granola mixture, distributing evenly throughout. Spread the mixture in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 45-55 minutes. About halfway through the baking time, use a large spatula to turn over sections of the granola carefully. Rotate the pan if granola is not baking evenly. When it is evenly browned and dry to the touch, transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, break up granola into preferred cluster sizes. Sprinkle in dried fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment