Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Skincare Routine 101




I've grown to be quite a skincare fanatic over the past year. When I first started experimenting with different brands, I have to admit it was all pretty scary. As someone who is extremely paranoid about trying out new products, I was embarrassingly anxious about the whole thing. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to share my collection of favorite skincare products that I've curated over the years. I hope these products are as lovely to you as they have been to me! :)

1. Ren Invisible Pores Detox Mask: I love the whole Ren line in general. The packaging is super cute, the products are of great quality, and the prices are incredibly reasonable. The Detox Mask is one of my favorites because it leaves my face feeling super clean but not super dry. I had tried out various clay masks and found others to be too extreme so this was a happy compromise. I try to do this once a week. Careful not to go overboard as over-cleansing your skin can cause a lot of issues too.

2. Clarisonic Mia: Ah, the Mia. I had been hearing rave reviews about this little brush for years and I thought it was all complete hype. I didn't see how it could be much better than my system of baby washcloths. Well, back in May my skin went completely insane and kept getting progressively worse. I tried cleanser after cleanser and scrub after scrub and nothing seemed to be doing the trick. So I decided to try out the Mia as a last resort. The initial purge was pretty horrendous for me. I've heard that it only lasts a week for some lucky gals but it lasted over a month for me and I almost gave up on it completely. If you decide to try the Mia for yourself, trust me when I say this: It will get worse before it gets better. And yes, it's a little pricey but it's such a great investment. The brush head lasts for three months (I use the delicate) and it's completely revitalized my entire skincare routine.

3. Nivea Enriched Body Lotion: I know that some people absolutely love fancy body lotions but I've never been one of them. I've been using Nivea for years and I think it's one of the best hidden drugstore gems. Lather it on twice a day for baby soft skin!

4. Fresh Rose Face Mask: I've been curious about the entire Fresh line for years but had always held out because of how pricey their products are. But I can honestly say that I think the Rose Face Mask is worth every single penny. It is gentle enough to be used daily--I use it every other day--and it hydrates my skin like magic. An added plus? It smells pretty glorious too.

5. Ren Micro Polish Cleanser: I told you, I'm a huge fan of the Ren line. I used to be a big fan of the St. Ives Apricot Scrub--I swore by it all through college. For some reason, my skin woke up one day and decided that the Apricot Scrub was enemy number one. My skin got really raw and it was causing my pores to clog on an epic scale. I was recommended the Ren Polish because it's a lot more gentle than most exfoliants but does the trick all the same. If you're a exfoliating manic like me, try to control yourself. Despite my instinct to scrub away, I only use this twice a week.

6. Cetaphil Moisturizer: I ain't no drugstore snob! I've been a loyal user of the Cetaphil line ever since I was nine--no lie. I like that this moisturizer is really gentle and doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy. Moisturizing your face twice a day is a must.

7. Cetaphil Cleanser: Because the Mia cleans your face six times more thoroughly than a normal wash, I prefer to pair it with a really gentle cleanser. The Cetaphil cleanser is one of the lightest on the market and I've found that it works wonderfully with the Mia. I know that some complain that it doesn't do enough for their skin, but because I use other scrubs and masks during the week, I've found that it complements my routine well.

8. Fresh Sugar Lip Balm: I'm oddly picky about my lip balms. I get genuinely freaked out by lip balms that are too slick. The Fresh Sugar lip balm is a beauty-industry favorite and it's easy to see why. It smells heavenly and moisturizes chap lips like no other. Apply generously before bed for kissable lips in the morning!



I hope y'all found that helpful! What are some of your skincare secrets?

No comments:

Post a Comment