Sunday, December 4, 2011

How Crafty

Aaron and I have been living in this apartment for over four months now but we still aren't quite finished decorating the place. While my bedroom has been quite thoroughly girly-fied, (there isn't a single flat surface without a vase) the common areas are still rather bare. So a few weeks ago, I became fixated on the idea to create some simple and cute pieces to hang on our wall. I've been inspired by a lot of chevron prints lately and while the search for the perfect chevron-printed shirt/dress is still in progress, I decided to add a punch of whimsy and color with a few canvas prints. I decided on three of my favorite colors, a deep purple, pale lavender and mint-green.

Sometimes I get into unexplainable frenzies where I feel the need the urge to cook or clean or to a neurotic degree. So at about eleven on a Tuesday night, I was bored enough to start on this project and I couldn't stop. Before I knew it, it was two in the morning and I was sitting on an old towel in the middle of my room, in a mess of spilled paint and dirty paintbrushes. Pathetic, I know.

I'm certainly not an artist at all, so it goes to show how simple this project really was...  ;) It ended up better than I was expecting, so I'm planning on creating another piece for my momma's office as a personalized Christmas present.

I started off with three smaller-sized canvases. 

My make-shift paint palette... Janky, I know.

It took about a million layers (read: seven) of this gold paint to create the perfect background.

The finished product! (Without flash )

Ta-da!


While I was at it, I also created another piece with my favorite Chanel quote.

No one says it quite like Chanel.



Have y'all tried any fun craft projects lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment